Friday, September 11, 2009

The Day The World Changed


Has it really been 8 years since our world was turned upside down?

I remember it just like it was yesterday. I was at work waiting for the Dr. I worked for to get there. He was always late. We had a liposuction scheduled and the OR was set up and the patient was ready. We were just waiting for the Dr. We always had a radio on and I remember Bill Bevins coming on Lite 98 and saying a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. I turned the t.v on and there it was. The patient that day just happened to work for the Government and when the second plane hit she knew exactly who the master-mind was behind this disaster.

We were all watching t.v-including the patient in her OR gown. We decided to go ahead with her surgery. In the mean time the rest of the patients for the day cancelled and we went home early. I thought it was something out of a movie when the Towers fell. I've been to the top of those buildings and just didn't think that was possible. I still can't believe to this day that they collapsed.

When I got home mom, dad and I did nothing but channel surf between CNN, Headline News, and all the other news channels. I have never witnessed anything like that in my life and hope I won't experience that again. The emotions of everyone in our Nation were just so overwhelming. To this day, I get teary-eyed thinking about it. To see grown men crying and uncertain about the state of our Country felt like someone knocked the wind out of me.

Looking back, it's weird thinking about how "naive" we were. We would hop on a plane and not think anything about it. We thought we took the necessary precautions but obviously it wasn't enough. Today when you fly, you can't take more than 3 oz of fluids on a plane and all sorts of other crazy stuff. It seems like families are scared to fly together. I know of some families that one parent and a kid will fly on one plane and the rest of the family on another in case something should happen.

I hope we never forget the brave souls who were defending our country until the moment their time was up. I hope we try to understand what our troops are going thru whether they are at home or abroad. We will never understand what they endure but we should thank God for them and their bravery every day. They are the ones letting us have our freedom and will allow generations to come to have their freedom.

So I'm leaving you with a song ......actually 2 because I just can't choose. They both reflect the emotion of that time in our Nation.

This isn't the actually video for this song, but I liked the footage.








I think the events that happened were a "shock" for everyone. It seems like after that happened, we started telling people we loved them more, we held on to the great memories we have, we slowed down and realized that family should be the most important thing. We also starting slowing down and enjoying the quiet times. We also realized we needed to make some changes and started doing things we really wanted to whether it was cut back the hours we work so we could spend more time with our family,going back to school to finish our education, changing careers or simply chasing our dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment